Re: Proposal for updating source/reference table structure for OpenMRS

Paul Biondich-2 Paul Biondich-2

Re: Proposal for updating source/reference table structure for OpenMRS

Andy,

So I was just going through old emails, and....

Hah, just kidding.

Burke and I have forced "noodle time" back on our schedules, so that we can get some design thinking back into the OpenMRS process.

One of the top things on our list was formally replying to this request from you Andy, and so with our tail tucked between our legs, we wanted to give you some thoughts. :)

Naturally, a lot has happened between 12/2007 and now, so some of what you proposed has already happened... however, you propose a couple of other innovative things that have yet to be incorporated:

1)  specifying the kind of mapping (so that you can specify non-exact matches)
2)  creating a place to access relationships that exist within reference terminologies like SNOMED

We agree pretty strongly with your approach of creating a separate table for external codes (which we renamed concept_reference_term) for a couple of reasons:

1)  it gives you the ability to also bring over the reference term mappings (SNOMED to SNOMED code relationships for example)
2)  it gives us the long term option of potentially using those codes long term in other places within the system (which scares me mostly because I haven't had the brain cycles to consider the implications of this)

So, with some naming modifications, attached is what we think is a nice compromise solution between your proposal and a model that's consistent with the changes that have evolved over time anyways.

We welcome feedback on this from everyone.

On Dec 13, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Andrew Kanter wrote:

I have uploaded some proposed enhancements to the reference tables within OpenMRS to handle more thorough mapping between concept tables and SNOMED, RxNORM, ICD, etc. It is included in the forum: http://forum.openmrs.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=326

I look forward to discussing these proposed changes.

Thanks!
Andy

Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH

Director of Health Information Systems/Medical Informatics
Millennium Villages Project
Earth Institute, Columbia University
[hidden email]

[hidden email] from OpenMRS Developers' mailing list

[hidden email] from OpenMRS Developers' mailing list