New dev tools are coming. Here's what you need to know.

Michael Downey Michael Downey

New dev tools are coming. Here's what you need to know.

Hello developers! The Community Infrastructure Team is pleased to announce that the next generation of developer support tools are ready to be released.

Here's what you need to know

Starting next Thursday, OpenMRS will be using a new ticket system called Atlassian JIRA for bug reports and new features related to trunk/core. If you currently use Trac to create, view, or work on tickets, you'll start using JIRA on July 2. On that date, new tickets will need to be created in JIRA. All existing Trac tickets will move to JIRA on that day, too.

Over the next week, you'll get a few e-mails to help you get ready for an easy, pain-free transition to JIRA. Today, we'll take a look at a few of the new tools that are coming with JIRA.

New OpenMRS ID for all new tools

All of the new tools we roll out this year will use a single ID and password called OpenMRS ID and will be powered by the Atlassian Crowd system. You can access this account starting today using the self-service site at http://id.openmrs.org/. If you had a Trac account, and you had either created or worked on tickets, you should already have a new OpenMRS ID. Your login will be the same, but you'll need to reset your password by clicking here. Password reset information will arrive at the e-mail address you had registered with Trac. If you don't receive the e-mail (be sure to check your spam folders) please open a support ticket including your contact information and we'll figure out what went wrong.

If you were in the pilot group for OpenMRS ID, don't worry. Your user ID and password won't change.

New source code viewer and code review tools

Also launching next Thursday will be two new tools, Atlassian FishEye & Crucible. FishEye is a real-time source code visualization tool that watches our Subversion repositories for updates, and allows you to browse the code, and have threaded discussions about specific commits as they happen. Crucible is an innovative tool that will allow us to do continuous, asynchronous code reviews, and eventually should help us be faster and more effective with those reviews.

More information tomorrow

Tomorrow, we'll send another e-mail with more information about JIRA and how you'll use it to manage tickets. Stay tuned.

Best regards,

Michael Downey
OpenMRS Community Infrastructure Team
[hidden email]

[hidden email] from OpenMRS Developers' mailing list
Michael Downey Michael Downey

Re: New dev tools are coming. Here's what you need to know.

Hello again, developers. In part 2 of our series on the move to JIRA, we'll give you some tips on using the new system, a look at what will happen with existing tickets, and show you how you can start testing out JIRA today.

About the JIRA model

In JIRA, we'll have multiple "projects" -- essentially separate collection of tickets. For now, the projects you need to know about will be called "Trac Tickets" and "OpenMRS Trunk". The former will be the collection of legacy Trac tickets moved over to the new system, and the latter will be where all new trunk/core-related bugs and feature requests are collected. (If you have an OpenMRS module and you'd like to use JIRA for managing bugs/issues, please submit a request and a project can be be created for you.)

Legacy tickets from Trac

As mentioned above, all tickets from Trac will be moved to JIRA to a project called "Trac Tickets". This move will happen late Thursday evening. We've been testing the migration for a couple weeks now, and feel confident that everything will be preserved -- ticket numbers, assignees, reporters, attachments, comments, and keywords. However, the URL's will change as follows:
Don't worry - once the migration to JIRA is complete, we'll have redirects in place that will automatically take you to JIRA should you accidentally link to the old Trac URL.

Using Trac reports? We've got you covered.

If you used various saved reports in Trac, we'll have most of the existing reports (now called Filters) available to you in JIRA. Just head over to the Popular Filters page to find the one you were using. You can also make your own filters and share them with others.

Creating new tickets in JIRA

If you're working on OpenMRS trunk/core, you'll need to create your tickets in the new "OpenMRS Trunk" project. (For other modules, see above to get a new project set up.) In JIRA, we've formalized the workflow we've been using (validate bug / coding / code review)  and JIRA will help us make sure that we're sticking to it. Buttons above the ticket will move it through the workflow process and send e-mail notifications to the right people.

Want to play around with JIRA now? Here's how.

If you want to check out the new workflow, or just get a better idea about how JIRA works, we've set up a test project you can use today. It's got the same settings as the new OpenMRS Trunk project, so go ahead and make a test ticket or two. If you have any questions or problems, contact me by e-mail or open a support ticket.

Demo in tomorrow's developer meeting

Change can be a bit challenging, so tomorrow, we'll have a JIRA demo and overview in the weekly developer meeting at 10 AM Eastern Time. Feel free to join us for a look at the changes and an opportunity to ask questions.

Best regards,

Michael Downey
OpenMRS Community Infrastructure Team
[hidden email]

[hidden email] from OpenMRS Developers' mailing list
hablutzel1 hablutzel1

Re: New dev tools are coming. Here's what you need to know.

I been testing trac for a couple of weeks now in my work and it proved to be really really useful, does jira beat it in that many ways you want to move to it?

--
Jaime Hablutzel

(tildes omitidas intencionalmente)

Michael Downey Michael Downey

Re: New dev tools are coming. Here's what you need to know.

Hi Jaime.

Any issue tracker provides great benefit to projects, especially as they grow and become more complex. Given the size of OpenMRS, we are wanting to increase the tools we have available to our developer community, and so looked at several applications.

From my personal perspective, Trac is still a powerful and fully-featured issue tracking system.

We settled on the Atlassian family primarily because of the very tight integration between products like Bamboo (what we currently use for continuous integration), a new wiki platform on Confluence, and Crucible for asynchronous code review. JIRA was able to meet all of the requirements we had for Trac, and in addition to the integration mentioned gave us the ability to use a single account across the other developer tools.

Hope my views are helpful for you. Perhaps others, including those who have used JIRA in other projects, will have anecdotes to share.

- Michael

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Jaime Hablutzel Egoavil <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ryan-6 Ryan-6

Re: New dev tools are coming. Here's what you need to know.

The other great benefit is that Jira support multiple project where as trac is more designed for one large project with multiple components. The multiple project aspect of Jira will allow modules to track issues as a completely separate project to OpenMRS trunk.

I'm really excited about the change. We at Jembi are probably moving to Jira soon as well.

Ryan

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Michael Downey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jaime.

Any issue tracker provides great benefit to projects, especially as they grow and become more complex. Given the size of OpenMRS, we are wanting to increase the tools we have available to our developer community, and so looked at several applications.

From my personal perspective, Trac is still a powerful and fully-featured issue tracking system.

[...]

Ryan Crichton
Software Developer
[hidden email]
http://www.jembi.org

Michael Downey Michael Downey

Re: New dev tools are coming. Here's what you need to know.

The migration of Trac to JIRA is now complete. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you get started and experience some of the integration we talked about today.

Recap of what happened

Existing Trac tickets have been moved to JIRA and can be found in JIRA's Trac Tickets project. New trunk-related tickets should be created in the OpenMRS Trunk project. If you have a module and would like a module-specific project, you can request one and we'll get one set up for you quickly.

We'll redirect things from Trac to JIRA, so any old links you have pointing to Trac should still work. If you have problems with old Trac links not redirecting, let me know.

Bookmark these links
Resetting your password

Reminder: Your old Trac password won't work with JIRA because it uses a new OpenMRS ID. In most cases, your OpenMRS ID is the same as your Trac account. Your OpenMRS ID is used for all the applications listed above. You can get a new password sent to your e-mail address by going to http://id.openmrs.org/ and clicking on the "Forgotten your password" link. If you can't figure out your OpenMRS ID to reset your password, open a support ticket and we'll get you taken care of right away.

Use new notations to link between apps

The Atlassian tools have powerful cross-application linking tools, but you'll need to remember the following to make sure they work:
  • Use the new JIRA ticket formatting of KEY-### -- e.g., TRAC-123 or TRUNK-123 -- in your commit comments, and anywhere you mention a ticket. This will enable your commits to appear in JIRA tickets automatically, and CI/Bamboo builds to link to relevant JIRA tickets automatically (example).
  • In Crucible, if you're creating a code review, use the JIRA issue key above in your title or objectives to create an inbound link from JIRA to Crucible. Outbound links from Crucible to JIRA can be created this way or by using the "Linked Issue" field when a review is created (or edited).
  • Use rev:12345 formatting for changesets mentioned in JIRA tickets. As mentioned in today's developer meeting, although JIRA doesn't currently support automatic outbound links to FishEye to view code, it is planned for the next release of JIRA.
Where to get help

You can send me an e-mail directly, or even better, open a support ticket in JIRA. If you can't log in for any reason and list yourself as the reporter, include your contact information.

Thanks for your patience and feedback during this transition!

Michael Downey
OpenMRS Community Infrastructure Team
[hidden email]

[hidden email] from OpenMRS Developers' mailing list
Burke Mamlin Burke Mamlin

Re: New dev tools are coming. Here's what you need to know.

Michael,

Thanks for getting us here!  We've been looking forward to this day for a few years now. Thanks!!!

I'm sure we'll have a few migration pains (learning how to work with the new tools, fine-tuning the workflows to match our needs, etc.). I would urge folks to bring any of these issues to the Dev list, so we learn as a community.

Cheers,

-Burke

hablutzel1 hablutzel1

Burke Mamlin Burke Mamlin